[fusion_text]This past weekend, I had the pleasure and honour of celebrating my parents’ 60th Wedding Anniversary! WOW! What a milestone! And you know what??? They are still very smitten with each other and so in love. A wonderful love story indeed.
As I looked at the family and friends who celebrated with them I am reminded that over their sixty years together they have cultivated many, many relationships. Are they all perfect? No, but those which align with their sensibilities, who lift them up and allow them to do the same are rock solid.
It’s remarkable how the very deep friendships they made over their first 30 years together (in the town I grew up in) remain locked in their hearts and lives today! Their “new” friends (those they have met over the past 30 years) are just as near and dear to them. Some I met for the first time, and others I’ve known much longer. They all displayed a love and admiration for my parents, Bob and Ev, for being themselves and sharing their unique gifts of love, friendship and respect for others. To say I am proud and deeply blessed is an understatement.
And then there’s family. Across the miles, multiple generations find ways to stay connected, and the love is strong whether we are able to meet frequently or once every 10 years. Such a beautiful thing to be a part of and a reminder to continue cultivating these relationships.
So, this makes me wonder what Mom and Dad’s “secret sauce” to success is … here are some thoughts based on what I’ve observed over 55 of those 60 years!
- Greet everyone you meet with a smile and absolutely say “hello” whenever you can.
- Food is meant to be shared, whether you have a little or a lot
- Love is meant to be shared
- Faith is meant to be shared … faith in a higher power, faith in yourself and faith in others
- Everybody deserves respect. Find a way to see the best in everyone you meet.
- Family matters
- Friends are family too
- Be interested in who you are with at the moment… even if they are not your “cup of tea”, you will learn something from or about them
- Music and wine are staples
- Be clear about what you want. Decide when to push it and when to let it go. Some arguments are just not worth it.
- Everyone has a bad day … it doesn’t make them a bad person.
- Keep busy and involved to keep young.
- Be yourself All The Time…Nobody should have to guess whether or not you are being genuine.
- Open your home and welcome everyone … what if someone needs an ear to listen, help to fix or sort out a problem, a cup of coffee (and a muffin) or just some laughs and good cheer. YOU might be just what they need.
- Enjoy life to the fullest
I could go on but I’m sure you get the point.
[/fusion_text][tagline_box backgroundcolor=”” shadow=”yes” shadowopacity=”0.7″ border=”1px” bordercolor=”#aa0101″ highlightposition=”top” content_alignment=”center” link=”” linktarget=”_self” modal=”” button_size=”” button_shape=”” button_type=”” buttoncolor=”” button=”” title=”Over to YOU!” description=”” margin_top=”” margin_bottom=”” animation_type=”0″ animation_direction=”down” animation_speed=”0.1″ class=”” id=””]
When you look at the various roles you play, how do you feel about the relationships in your life?
Think of your most treasured relationships and how they make you feel?
TAKE ACTION: Take a moment to let them know how much you appreciate them today!
Think of those relationships that leave you feeling drained. Do you want them to be stronger?
TAKE ACTION: Do something to strengthen them today.
Which, if any, are too much for you? In fact, they are toxic.
TAKE ACTION: Reduce or eliminate the time spent on them. Nobody has to spend time in a relationship that does not support them. Really. It’s true.
If ALL of your relationships (personal and business) were built on mutual support and respect, wouldn’t life be grand! Since you DO have choices, it’s time to TAKE ACTION. Celebrate the relationships that light you up and use your voice and actions to repair, rebuild or remove those that don’t.
This is an aspect of my coaching practice that I love, so let me know in the comments below what action you have (or will take) to change the status of one of your relationships.
Would you like to dive a little deeper on this topic? Book a free 30-minute call by clicking HERE.